Tel Khodadi & Hamigdalor at Tel Aviv Port

Tel Khodadi is a mound located near the mouth of the Yarkon River in Tel Aviv. During the construction of the lighthouse on the estuary, an archaeological site was discovered in Tel in 1934. Rescue excavations were conducted in 1936-1938 as part of preparations for the construction of Redding’s power station. As a result of the construction and leveling of the mound, most of the remains are no longer visible.

Scientists mistakenly attributed the remains of two citadels to the Kingdom of Israel for decades after excavations. Later, this became a mistake. Today, it is accepted that these are citadels from the 8th century BC, which served as a front extension of the harbor near Tel Kasila in ancient times. In times of peace, the citadels served as a trading station and protected the Yarkon estuary. According to researchers Oren Tal and Alexander Pantelkin, Tel Khodadi is part of a series of Assyrian citadels built along the coast.

The site also contains the remains of a settlement that existed during the Persian period, as well as a sword from the end of the Byzantine period.

A memorial column commemorating Zion’s success stands at Tel Khodadi, which was one of the three points of Yarakon’s victory during the First World War.

A wooden dock surrounds the site, which was conserved and strengthened by the Antiquities Authority in 2007.

While the lighthouse was being constructed, the remains of Tel Khodadi, a citadel from the 8th century BC, were discovered. This citadel was built by the British in 1935[1] to warn ships approaching the coast. As a result of the Great Arab Revolt in 1936, it was decided to establish Tel Aviv as a port, and the lighthouse served as a navigational aid. As a result of the opening of Ashdod Port, the lighthouse stopped operating in 1966.

There are two twinkles (one long, one short) every seven seconds on the head of the lighthouse, which is about 17 meters above sea level.

It was declared a heritage site in 2011 and began to be renovated and preserved

Today : Migdalor Cafe

Links :